Turn your outdoor excursion into a party with the help of our Classic 5-1/4-inch Speaker. Although small in size, this speaker is mighty and produces incredibly high quality sound without taking up too much space. Because the speaker is waterproof, and UV and saltwater resistant, it is suitable for use on a patio, inside of a gazebo or on the deck of your boat. The speaker is handmade from start to finish in the U.S. in accordance with strict quality controls to create a lasting component for your audio system. For a truly remarkable experience with every song you play, use one of our compact woofers with the Classic 5-1/4-inch Speaker.
As great as our Classic 5 1/4" speaker, the Reference N5R Speaker are cleaner, smoother and more extended. It can be a drop in replacement for any of the Babb 514, 534 or 538, for more discerning listeners. Suitable for any application from outdoors to boats to home theater to a fantastic mid-bass to 20+ kHz driver. In a 1/3 cubic foot sealed box will play from 40 Hz to over 20 kHz +/- 3 dB - a great compact system, just add a woofer.
Colors: White and Black
Impedance: 4 Ohm & 8 Ohm
Freq. (+/-3dB): 40Hz - 19kHz
Efficiency (1W / 1m): 90dB
|Face OD (A)||Cut-Out (B)||Height (C)||Weight (each)|
This model uses a vented neodymium magnet and needs an additional ¼" minimum clearance behind the magnet. They are not meant to be mounted with direct salt-water exposure on the back-side. Be certain there are no braces, frames, glass or other obstructions behind the panel that would interfere with the insertion of the speaker. We recommend mounting the speaker from the top as this gives the best possible sound.
|V(as)||4.19 liters (0.148 cft)|
|SPL||85.42 db 1W/1m|
|Piston Diameter||88.9 mm|
|L(e)||0.188 mH @ 10kHz|
|SPL||86.28 db SPL 2.83 Vrms|
Amplifiers should have a minimum of 25 watts RMS per channel for best performance. Distortion from a cheap or underpowered amplifier will do more damage than a high-powered amplifier used judiciously.
For wiring runs of 3 feet to 10 feet we recommend 16 gauge wire at a minimum, for runs of 10 feet to 20 feet a minimum of 14 gauge wire and for runs beyond 20 feet a minimum of 12 gauge should be used. Larger gauge wire is always better up to a point.
The N5R's are efficient enough to work with most head units (cd players, tape decks, etc.) pushing 25 Watts per channel. No amp, crossovers or other gear is needed, a true plug & play driver!
If you are looking for a bit more oomph then hookup a good amp, these babies will handle 80W RMS and up to 300W.
Building a box?
Indoor use: we recommend 1/3 cubic foot ported box.
Outdoor use: we recommend 1/3 cubic foot sealed box.
General Speaker FAQ
- Select a suitable location for the speakers. They are not meant to be mounted with direct salt-water exposure on the back-side. Be certain there are no braces, frames, glass or other obstructions behind the panel that would interfere with the insertion of the speaker. We recommend mounting the speaker from the top as this gives the best possible sound. Wall thickness of the larger speakers (N69, N7, N9.5) can be ¾” with no deterioration of sound quality. When mounting the N4 or N5 speakers and the mounting wall thickness is greater than ¼” you may have to chamfer the opening inside the cabinet to allow proper exiting of the air from the speaker frame (basket). If top mounting in not possible, the speaker may be mounted from behind using a gasket. For the best sound quality rear mounting should only be done if panel is no thicker than .25” (6mm) as this will make the speaker sound “closed in” and project poorly. Because of the tremendous bass power of the DC GOLD AUDIO speakers, the mounting panel should be as sturdy as possible. To realize the full potential, the speakers need a reasonable volume of air behind them. Thin or flimsy wall and / or lack of air volume will detract the sound quality. Depths of the speakers range from 2.25” (57mm) to 4.7 (120mm) please measure carefully.
- Cut hole with template provided using a knife, saw or sheet metal shears. Clean the installation area thoroughly, specially loose fiberglass bits and or metal shavings. Sand or file edges before the next step.
- Fit the speaker into the opening and mark the location of the mounting holes. Remove the speaker and drill the pilot holes as marked. Key to the great sound of DC GOLD AUDIO speakers is the elimination of the spider found in conventional speakers. To avoid possible contamination of the exposed motor, remove all debris carefully before fitting the speaker into the opening.
- Route the speaker leads through the vehicle. Avoid running wires where they may be pinched.
- Connect leads to the speaker terminals and mount the speaker in place using the stainless steel screws supplied. The terminal with the red dot is the positive (+) lead. This can be checked with a battery the positive (+) lead of the battery connected to the positive lead of the speaker and the negative (-) connected to the negative lead of the speaker should cause the cone to move forward. If the speaker moves inward, switch polarity of the speaker terminals. Rosin core solder will give the best connection. It is best to carefully start each screw, but do not tighten until all are in place-then tighten snugly-do not over tighten as you can crack the polymer frame.
- Follow the instruction supplied with your stereo or amplifier for proper electrical connections. Note that one of the wires is marked for proper identification, to assure proper phasing of the speakers. Improper phasing will greatly reduce low frequency response. To check, turn balance to one speaker and then to the other while playing. If bass response is greater on either one speaker than both playing together, one speaker is connected out of phase. A similar check can be performed on a four-speaker system using the fader to check phasing between the front and rear speakers.
YES, DC GOLD Speakers can be submerged in water without causing harm. It is not recommended that the speakers be played while submerged. This is because speakers are electrically run pieces of equipment and live electrical wires would also have to be submerged.
4 Ohm is usually chosen for any mobile 12 volt operation - cars, boats, etc.
8 Ohm is usually chosen for 120/220 volt operation - home / home theater.
The best way to make a determination is to read the specification in the owners manual of the equipment you are using. In many instances the 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm can be interchangeable although some amplifiers would prefer a particular impedance. As our speakers have very low inductance the impedance is very stable across the frequency spectrum they tend to be very amplifier friendly.
The Classic is based on the original Babb Speakers. DC GOLD has updated the original designs with a newer, lighter and more powerful neodymium magnet utilizing a copper Faraday ring and t-type gap for lower distortion. Both the Classic and Reference have an aluminum alloy cone with a proprietary coating for smoother sound. The Reference utilizes the same magnet and replaces a key piece of the cone with beryllium. This provides a cleaner, more dynamic sound. From resonance to 20+ kHz there is little in the world that will keep up with it; truly state-of-the-art!.
While maintenance is not necessary, there may be something you can do to extend the life of your speakers.
DO NOT USE CLEANERS OR CHEMICALS ON YOUR SPEAKERS. If your speakers are dirty use a mild liquid dish soap and water mixture on a clean rag to clean the exterior of your speakers.
If your speakers are used in a salt-water boating environment;
It is recommended that you rinse your speakers off with fresh water when rinsing your boat.
It is recommended that at least 1 time per year you remove the speakers from the boat and submerge the drivers in a bucket or sink full of tap water for 1 to 2 hours. Rinse the drivers in clean tap water upon removal from the bucket or sink and let them air dry before reinstalling them in the boat.
- 100% Waterproof and UV Resistant
- Speakers Hand Built in the USA
- 3 Year Warranty
- Can be Rebuilt for Life *
- Full Range - Single Voice Coil
- High Energy Neodymium Magnet
- Ferro-Fluid Cooled Voice Coil
- Aluminum/Magnesium Alloy Cone